Kurashiki Bikan Historical Quarter
Kurashiki Bikan Historical Quarter preserves the beauty of traditional Japanese architecture for the present day, with its rows of willow trees gently swaying in the wind, and the beautiful contrast between the white walls and the black-and-white "namako" walls casting their shadows onto the Kurashiki River below.
During the Edo period, this area prospered as a place for rice shipping, and the earthen storehouses let visitors have a glimpse into the past.
This quarter is also home to many cultural establishments, including the Ohara Museum of Art, which has many world-famous works of art, the Kurashiki Museum of Folkcraft, the Kurashiki Archaeological Museum, the Japanese Rural Toy Museum, and others.
Sightseeing riverboats can be ridden and enjoyed on the Kurashiki River, which, in days past, used to bustle with the back-and-forth traffic of riverboats loaded with cargo.
- 1-4-8 Chuo, Kurashiki City, Okayama
(Kurashikikan Tourist Information Office)
- About 10 minutes by foot from Kurashiki Station on the JR Sanyo Line
- From Kojima Station on the JR Seto-Ohashi Line, take a bus on the Shimoden Amaki Line toward Kurashiki Station (around 40 min / 640 yen) and get off at "Kurashiki Funaguracho." Then a 10 min. walk.
- Traditional Boat Tour of Kurashiki Canal
Ohara Museum of Art
- All year
- At the Heartland Kurashiki event held every year during Golden Week (around the 1st week of May), the Kurashiki Bikan Historical Quarter is the setting for music and an aquatic parade featuring the Bride of Seto, the Wisteria Maiden, and Princess Kaguya. There is also a stage and many other events held during the event.
Betty Smith Jeans Museum
A walk in Okayama City Center (City of Fruit Parfait)
Ohara Museum of Art
Okayama Korakuen and Okayama Castle
Traditional boat tour
Momotaro Karakuri Museum
Mt. Washuzan Observatory (Great Seto Bridge)
Kibiji Cycling Course
Kojima Jeans Street
Bizen Osafune Japanese Sword Museum
Walking in Okayama City (The City of Fruit Parfaits)
Bizen Yaki Dento Sangyo Kaikan